Friday, December 18, 2009

Has anyone used Gold Bond powder with their horse boots?

I was on the website for easy boots and boa boots and it had a note on there to read about Gold Bond. It said that the powder made putting the boots on and taking them off much easier. It also helped with rubbing that boots might do on the pasterns.





Anyone use powder with their horse boots? Or have you tried it at all, and what did you think of it? (doesn't matter if it is Gold Bond or another brand, just would like to know)Has anyone used Gold Bond powder with their horse boots?
Yes, I use it in my Easyboot gloves. It gets pretty stinky in the hot, moist environment inside the boot, so the antibacterial properties of Gold bond is great, especially if you are battling thrush.





Gold Bond is made to be used on people's feet (and other moist, stinky areas of skin) and so is also safe for horses' soles and frogs.





I have never heard of anyone using it for ease of putting on or taking off the boots. You want the boots to fit tight and not shift so they don't come off during the ride. Just put a couple tablespoons in the bottom of the boot before you put it on and it stays in the sole area.





I haven't used the Boa boots because I don't like the way they rub the coronet band - and I don't think powder would help with that. I like the Gloves because the gaiters don't rub. I make sure the horses pasterns are clean before I put on the boots so there is no irritation so no need to powder that area.Has anyone used Gold Bond powder with their horse boots?
I think the best solution would be to ask your horse shoer! he/she knows your horses feet best and I'm sure they have the most experience and could tell you what and what not to use. Horses tend to be sensitive as you may already know, and some powders may irritate their hooves or pasterns.


I know at the racetrack, some trainers use baby powder (the unscented kind) since it tends to be a little more gentle or apply a dab of Fura-Zone on the pastern to lubricate it.
Some horse's are a little in between sizes and get boot rubs.





If this is the case get a thin tube sock and cut the foot part off so its just a tube. Then put some baby powder on his legs and pull the THIN sock over. This will help fill the boot up a little and decrease his chances of getting a rub.





That's really the only thing I use it for. It works well.

No comments:

Post a Comment