Monday, December 28, 2009

Will a chicken curry powder expire?

I bought a chicken curry powder in a bottle of course and used it for my recipe. I kept it at my cabinet. A year passed without my chicken curry powder used because i forgot about it. I may sound like stupid, but I'm asking if it will expire or not because there is no expiration date printed anywhere on the container/bottle.Will a chicken curry powder expire?
Probably not as long as you bought it fresh. My husband has trouble getting the spice mixtures he wants and brings a lot back from Pakistan. I haven't gotten sick or died yet. 8-)





I would use it up fairly quickly tho and get some new. And don't put it in the back of the cabinet again!





These 'kitchen expert' shows and people keep telling us that we should replace our spices every 6 months, but I don't. They will loose their punch after opened so if you want fresh, buy fresh.Will a chicken curry powder expire?
yes, it'll expire.... but i still use my expired curry powder.... well, my expired like 2 or 3 months.... i'm still alive.... so, if u really wanna try it... do it fast.... or just get new one....^^
If it was never opened, it might still be good to use. but if opened, it has probably lost some of its potency
It doesnt expire usually


At the most u may spread it out in the sun to take away unwanted moisture if any.
ive had some of my spices for years(well at least 2-3) and its ok, they dont cost the earth to replace, but i always use mine in my curries and theyre fine. my mum used to work in a herbal apothicary and got me big bags full of spices, just use it its fime, mine always turn out nice anyway.
It does not exactly expire, but depending on how you store it you can see a lot of flavor loss. I have found this particularly to be the case with highly flavored spice mixtures like curry powder rather than individual spices like cinnamon.





You can prolong the life of any spice by storing it in an airtight container in the freezer - a handy trick for some of the more expensive things you might not use often like cardamom.





And of course, buy things in small quantities that you will use up quickly. There are a number of companies online that provide bulk spices at very good prices. Great places to look if you want something unusual. I buy many of my spices, though, in ';bulk'; at the local ';health food'; store because I can buy just a tablespoon of something if that is all I need. We just clean and refill spice jars.
Well Im not sure but what I do know is if you dont have it in an air tight container ( not the one it came in ) like Tupperware seasoning containers it can get buggy. To see if it has just pour a little out onto wax paper away from a draft and let it sit over night if it has any bugs ( cant see them with naked eye) you Will see trails leading out of the pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment